Our History

The history of the Paxton Church of Christ stems back to a group of leaders from another church called the Mt. Olivet Christian Church. The church was located in Rural Paxton (south of Clarence, Illinois). The town of Paxton was growing and many families were moving to town creating the need to build a church in town.

A group of leaders from Mt. Olivet met on July 5, 1884 to start plans to build a church in the town of Paxton. The meeting resulted in the calling of the Ludlow Christian Church and sharing space on the second floor of “Laurence’s Hall” on South Market Street in Paxton. The two churches would take turns preaching every other Sunday. The terms of the rent were one dollar per Sunday with the owner furnishing the heat. Lots were purchased on April 24, 1884 at 246 East Center Street in Paxton and a contract was agreed to build a church building 32 feet by 50 feet. From 1884 thru 1955, additions were made to the church building as well as a parsonage which was erected to the west of the church.

As the membership continued to grow, plans were being made for a new church building by demolishing the existing parsonage and church building and put a new building in its place since the congregation wanted to stay at the present location. This plan failed to gain the support of the Church Board.

Then a team of men from the church formed a group called “Faithbuilders”. They purchased nine acres of property and gave it to the congregation with the condition that a new church building be constructed on the purchased property within five years.

On February 7, 1965, the congregation voted to accept the property and its stipulation. On Sunday, May 13, 1968, a ground breaking ceremony was held using a “walking plow” attached to a long rope pulled by members and friends of the congregation. On March 30, 1969, the first service in the new church located at 400 W. Ottawa Road was held. By April 1, 1979, ground was broken for a new parsonage.

Through the years, the church added things such as a paved parking lot, illuminated sign, church vans and bus. Contemporary music was integrated with Traditional music. As the times change, PCC continues to work to change with the times, but keeping Jesus Christ as its foundation.